Increasing Community Involvement in...
Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) Education K-12
Welcome to AB PIP STEM
) Parent Involvement Project (PIP
) hosts K-12 educational enrichment events in Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM
) in Acton and Boxborough, Massachusetts.
AB PIP STEM's family-oriented events include Market Math
, Star Party
, Nature Walks
, Family Math Game Night
, Discover STEM Career Exploration
, the AB PIP STEM Book Group
and Family Math Games Night
. AB PIP STEM also provides local STEM resources on our website and at the library, partners with other STEM groups and supports STEM community projects.
2015 STEM Events
Summer Skills™ Math Review Books
In May and June, AB PIP STEM sells Summer Skills™ Math Review Books. These books are refreshers to help your children review math skills over the summer. Summer Skills™ books have been updated to reflect the New Common Core Math Curriculum Standards. AB PIP STEM earns $1/book sold.
Find out about our events and meetings on our Calendar page, read the 2014-2015 AB PIP STEM Brochure or print the one-page 2014-2015 AB PIP STEM Event List. We encourage new participants and volunteers! Come to a Meeting or drop in to an AB PIP STEM event. Please join us! Interested?
Join our e-mail list. Find us or Follow us at AB PIP STEM.
STEM in the News
Top 5 Science iPad Apps
Check out the educational apps for Apple's iPad that make science visual and fun, according to PC Magazine.
Science & Engineering Sites for Girls
Biology & Chemistry Online
See the Visible Body
and Winking Skull
for the latest in anatomy & physiology or the Periodic Table of Videos
for chemistry online.
Turning Stem to Steam
The equation for 21st century problem solving: STEM + Art = STEAM. Innovation remains tightly coupled with Science, Technology, Engin eering, & Math: the STEM subjects. The STEAM movement adds Art + Design into STEM to transform STEM into STEAM.
Summer 2015 STEM Activities
- Tufts Center for Engineering Education and Outreach. Mini Makers, August 3-7 from 9am-3pm for Grades (in fall): 6-8. Students will learn how to use laser cutters, print on 3D printers, solder electronics, and more. They will develop design solutions for real-world problems and produce functioning prototypes.
- MakerSpace Summer Program at Cambridge Friends School will offer small, intensive, week-long STEM programs for rising 5-8 grade students (grades 5-8 by the Fall of 2015) focusing on themes in civil engineering, robotics, alternative energy, symmetry in nature, aeronautics, kinetics and more. Sign up online.
- 11 Summer Camps for Boston Kids who Love Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM)
- Free Summer Technology Camps and Workshops for Kids
- Summer STEM Programs from Newton-STEM
- Frontiers Program at WPI for Students Grades 11 + 12
- Sally Ride Camp for Girls Grades 4-8
- Summer Pathways at BU for Girls Grades 11 + 12
- Ecotarium Discovery Camp, Ages 5-14
- Code Studio from Code.org for Online Summer Fun
- Math & Science Kits at Acton Memorial Library
AB PIP STEM and Abu Dhabi
On Friday, May 1st, a team from the The Glenelg School of Abu Dhabi
met with an AB STEM Committee and staff at the Science Discovery Museums to learn about our volunteerism and STEM initiatives in Acton and Boxborough. The head of The Glenelg School and three members of the curriculum department discussed ways to engage parents and students, how to make STEM fun, and whether or not programs like the Star Party, Market Math and Discover STEM could play in Abu Dhabi.